Sunday 18 October 2015

Clinique Haul and Review


           I have begun a serious Clinique obsession. It started when I purchased the Acne Clearing 3-Step System and the Moisture Surge Overnight Treatment. Then I picked up the Stay-Matte Oil-Free Makeup, after I fell in love with that I decided to try the Stay-Matte Oil-Free Pressed Powder. When I went to Sears to purchase it I was told if I pre-orded it and came back to pick it up in a week I would get a sample kit worth $85. How could I pass that up? When I went in to pick up my item and gift I decided to purchase the Universal Primer as well so I actually ended up with two sample kits. I have been able to try each of these products and thought I would share my thoughts on each one.


Stay-Matte Oil-Free Makeup in 02 Alabaster (VF-N) $31
          I have been trying to find a foundation that works on my oily skin for such a long time and this is the best out of the dozens I have tried. It is oil-controling, absorbs shine and mattifies for all day wear. I would say this is medium coverage but feels so light that I barely feel like I am wearing any foundation at all and it looks natural, not like you have slathered it on. The main problem that I have with most foundations besides oil and shine showing through is that it separates and moves around my face. With the Stay-Matte oil and shine do show through eventually but the foundation does not separate as quickly and it is less disturbed by blotting. My one issue is that I had a really hard time finding a colour match, I ended up having a Boutique worker at Shoppers colour match me to 02 Alabaster which if I build it up too much it is still a little too dark. Overall I am a huge fan of this foundation ansd I will be replacing it when I run out. As I began using this daily I decided I wanted to try both a primer and powder from Clinique to complete my foundation routine.


Superprimer Universal Face Primer  $33
           I was hopping that there would be a primer in the Stay-Matte line specifically for oily skin but no such luck. I decided I would at least give the Superprimer Universal Face Primer a try since it did say that it was for all skin types. The first time I used this I was shocked at how flawless my foundation went on. I am still in the trial stages of testing out this primer but I can say that it is much better then the ones I have tried out so far including the Smashbox Photo Finish Primer and the Pore Minimizing version as well as cheaper. I am holding out hope that Clinique will add a primer to the Stay-Matte line.



Stay-Matte Sheer Pressed Powder in 01 Stay Buff (VF) $31
           Skipping powder to set my foundation is not an option. I have found a couple drugstore options that work well enough but they do not compare to this powder. I have only used this a handful of times so I am not committed to it yet but as of this moment I see myself repurchasing it as it really does help control shine and oil above and beyond what the Stay-Matte foundation does for me.


Rinse-off Foaming Cleanser $25 for 150ml
          This cleanser is so creamy and gentle. I have tried a number of Clinique cleansers and this one is an excellent formula. It does not dry my skin out but still effectively removes makeup and cleanses. I have been using the Acne Solutions Foaming Facewash but since I do not have what I would consider acne prone skin it is a little too strong so I am glad to have another cleanser to alternate with.



Turnaround Overnight Revitalizing Moisturizer $46 for 1.7oz
           This lotion is supposed to reveal brighter and smoother skin while you sleep. I can not speak to the long term effects but the next day my skin felt moisturized without being overly oily. I use the Moisture Surge Overnight Treatment when my skin is dry but it is too much for every night. This one is more of a nightly lotion. 



Rinse-off Eye Makeup Solvent $23 for 125ml
           This little guy missed the main photo shoot but was part of the sample kit. I am not normally a huge fan of eye makeup solvents or removers and prefer to use cleansing oils to remove my make up but this is an excellent product. It took all my makeup off brows to lashes without stinging or leaving any oiliness behind. There is not really any scent either. The first time I used it the skin around my eyes were red for about ten minutes after use but there was no pain or dryness and it did not happen after using it the second time. I have two of these and two bottles of cleansing oil to go through but I would consider picking this up if I was to buy a makeup remover. 




Calyx Perfume $65 for 50ml
            I am not a fan of this perfume at all. If I can not find someone who wants it I am going to toss it out. The description on the Clinique website:

"An exhilarating scent that is sparkling and fresh. Energizing and audacious, it uplifts the mood and is ideal for the fragrance connoisseur who appreciates the fresh distinction of this unique and highly acclaimed scent."



High Impact Mascara in 01 Black $21 for full sized
            I love this mascara, it gives my lashes some volume, makes them look twice as long and no matter how many coats it piled on there were no clumps, just long, thick, defined lashes. If it gave a little more volume it would be perfect. It lasted all day and night without smudging or flaking. 



Long Last Glosswear in Clearly Pink and Juicy Apple $20 for full size
          Since I got two sample bags I was able to get both shades of this gloss. There are 18 shades that range from sheer coverage to "full intensity". I was not sure about this gloss as it goes on quite thick but it is not sticky at all and lasts for hours. I have never had such a shiny gloss that also moisturizes. 


          Other than the perfume sample I am thrilled with the products I have tried from Clinique. The primer and powder have some more trials to go through but my first impressions are quite favourable. The next products I want to try are the Cheek Pop blush and Lip Pop lip colour and primer. I will also keep hoping for a Stay-Matte primer.

Thanks for reading!
A.






No comments:

Post a Comment