Saturday 2 May 2015

Primer Showdown


          As I had mentioned in an earlier post I have declared war on my oily skin. I won my first battle when I picked up some Clinique skin care products, I will link that down below. My next mission is primers. I bought four to try out in hopes the would be able to help me fight my oily skin. I wanted to start with drugstore products in hopes of finding the perfect primer without making my wallet cry.


          In order we have Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer, Gosh Velvet Touch Foundation Primer in Classic, Hard Candy Sheer Envy Shine Free Primer, and Rimmel London Stay Matte Primer. I will give you some information about each one, the price, where I got it and why and then give a little review. At the end I will rank each of them 1-4, 1 being the best obviously. 



Smashbox Profinish Foundation Primer.  Full Size $40
          I decided to give this one a try because I have heard so many people on YouTube or different blogs talk about this like it is gelly gold. I did not want to drop forty bucks on it without trying it first so I bought a kit with a few different products from Smashbox in trial sizes. I will link that haul at the end of this post. It is oil free which is great because I have enough of that on my face already. The main focus of this primer is to reduce fine lines and reduce pores so it is not specifically for oil control but it is supposed to make your make up last longer. This primer has won tons of awards including the Sephora Award for Best Primer, one of Marie Claire's "25 Products That Will Change Your Life", an InStyle Best Beauty Buy and Martha Stewart Wedding Big-Day Beauty Awards Winner in 2013.

My Review: I am not one to go against Martha, she is a bad bitch who knows her shit, but this primer was complete crap. At least for me it was, my make up slid all around on my face to the point I could not even blot because it moved all my makeup around. I gave it many chances with different foundations, with and without lotion underneath and on days that required different makeup needs but it failed everyday. One day I wore it to work in the restaurant and near the end of my shift I just took all my makeup off because I looked terrible. I would say this actually made my makeup wear away faster and look worse while it was on my face. I will say that initially the clear gel went on really smooth, made my skin soft and my makeup went over it well. I gave this away to my sister I hope it will work for her, I mean it has won so many awards so it has to work for someone. 

Princess's Review: My sister said she did like it, that it was light and made her made her makeup last


Gosh Velvet Touch Foundation Primer in Classic   $25
          This was recommended to be by a woman in the Shoppers Boutique place, I told her I had oily skin and was considering trying the Smashbox primer but was not loving the price. I feel like she missed the part where I said I wanted a primer specifically for oily skin, this is the classic formula; maybe they have an oily skin formula. The bottle says "...is a perfect base for all makeup. It fills in fine lines and deep pores in the skin, creating a uniform, matt and silky soft surface" It is clear and about the of a gel consistency 

My Review: this was very similar to the Smashbox primer both in formula and effectiveness. The Gosh primer took a couple hours more to melt off my face but was still a disappointment. I did like how it felt going on and my skin looked smoother instantly. By the time I was halfway through my day my foundation was patchy and sliding around my face. I was going to just toss this but since it looked so nice by itself I think I will use it alone when I go to the gym to at least get some use out of it. 


Hard Candy Sheer Envy Shine Free Primer    $7.98
          I just saw this in Walmart and decided to give it a try since it said it will control shine for a matte finish. The back of the tube says : "Prevents oil build up and reduces sine while reducing the need for foundation touch ups. Lightweight primer is suggested for oily, sensitive or problem prone skin"

My Review: I had high hopes for this one since it was meant for oily skin, it had creamy texture and felt nice enough going on. My makeup did not slide around like the first two, it stayed put fairly well but I did have a lot of oil and shine, blotting was a must. Wearing a day lotion or serum underneath this one was impossible. I will use this but I will check to make sure to put blotting sheets in my bag.


 Rimmel London Stay Matte Primer    $9.99
           Another Walmart purchase, you can use this alone, under or over makeup to create a matte complexion that controls shine for eight hours.

My Review: I picked this up because I had tried the foundation from this line and found it was pretty decent for my oily skin. The formula was a little thicker, more like a cream. My foundation looked so natural on top of this. I did still have to blot a little after six or seven hours but there was not as much oil as the rest of the primers above. So while it did not solve all my problems it did perform a miracle: my foundation actually looked good under the fluorescent lights in the basement office! I will keep wearing it just for that. I did find that putting a little of the primer over top of my foundation but under powder did help control shine for a little bit of extra time.


The final standings:

4. SmashBox 
3. Gosh           
2. Hard Candy
1. Rimmel        


None of these were outstanding, I will keep using the Hard Candy and Rimmel primers under my foundation and the maybe the Gosh primer alone for the gym.

I will keep trying new primers and let you know what I think.

Thanks for reading!
A.

@dirty_cupcake







No comments:

Post a Comment